England v West Indies, 2nd Test, Trent Bridge, 4th day
Strauss and Cook Join 5,000 Club29-May-2012 02:38:00 GMT
Nottingham: England captain Andrew Strauss and his opening partner Alastair Cook on Monday became only the fifth partnership in Test history to have put on more than 5,000 runs together.
They went past the landmark with a stand of 89 as England beat West Indies by nine wickets to win the second Test at Trent Bridge.
The other duos to have achieved the feat are West Indies' Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes, Australia's Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer, India's Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar and Sri Lanka's Mahela Jaywardene and Kumar Sangakkara.
5,000 runs as partners in Tests (partners, span, country, innings, not outs, runs, highest stand, average runs per stand, century stands, fifty stands):
- Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar (IND): 6,920
- Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes (WI): 6,482
- Matthew Hayden and Justin Langer (AUS): 6,081
- *Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara (SL): 5,444
- *Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss (ENG): 5,085