Zimbabwe Twenty20 Tri-series 2012
Morris, du Plessis Called up to Proteas' T20 Squad01-Jun-2012 02:27:00 GMT
Johannesburg: Chris Morris, the 25-year-old bizhub Highveld Lions all-rounder, will make his first appearance for the Proteas in the unofficial T20 International Series against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh next month.
The series takes place in Zimbabwe from June 18 to 24.
Faf du Plessis, the middle order batsman, also has been has been named in South Africa's 15-man squad.
The squad will be captained by Johan Botha of the Chevrolet Warriors in the absence of AB de Villiers who is one of four players being rested. The others are Jacques Kallis, Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel.
“The four players concerned have turned out in virtually all their games for their franchises during the Indian Premier League (IPL),” explained Cricket South Africa (CSA) selection convener Andrew Hudson. “In addition they are involved in all three international formats for the Proteas and this is the last chance to rest them until the end of the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka in September and October.
“Du Plessis has been a stand-out performer for the Chennai Super Kings at the IPL and well deserves his T20 call-up. He has given us exciting, extra options by demonstrating his ability both at the top of the order and in the middle-order.
“Morris’ selection continues our policy of creating international opportunities for those who perform outstandingly well at franchise level and this certainly applies in his case.
South Africa Twenty20 squad
- Johan Botha (Chevrolet Warriors, capt)
- Hashim Amla (Sunfoil Dolphins)
- Farhaan Behardien (Nashua Titans)
- Marchant de Lange (Nashua Titans)
- JP Duminy (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
- Faf du Plessis (Nashua Titans)
- Colin Ingram (Chevrolet Warriors)
- Richard Levi (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
- Albie Morkel (Nashua Titans)
- Chris Morris (bizhub Highveld Lions)
- Justin Ontong (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
- Wayne Parnell (Chevrolet Warriors)
- Robin Peterson (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)
- Lonwabo Tsotsobe (Chevrolet Warriors)
- Dane Vilas (Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras)