Kotla pitch fiasco
ICC Chief Backs New Delhi Despite Pitch Fiasco08-Jan-2010 10:37:00 GMT
Chennai: India's capital New Delhi is still likely to host matches for the 2011 World Cup despite concerns about the pitch, International Cricket Council president David Morgan has said.
Last month, the fifth and final ODI between Sri Lanka and India in New Delhi's Feroz Shah Kotla ground was called off after 23.3 overs due to a dangerous pitch upon which the tourists had toiled to reach 83 for five.
"It's not our desire that a pitch in an important city, from a cricketing point of view, a place like Delhi, should face a lengthy ban, Morgan told a TV news channel on Friday.
The stadium is due to stage four matches at the World Cup, to be jointly hosted with Sri Lanka and Bangladesh from February 19 to April 2, 2011.